Thursday 23 September 2010

Week Nine - Open to Offa's

Another 10,000' week, including a good big (ish) day, and so you'd think I'd be happy.  And I sort of am, but I still feel some way short of the fitness i'm looking for.

The Open to Offa's was great.  Paul and I rattled off the 30 miles and 6500' at a leisurely pace, with a few stops for food with no pressure at all.  I felt a bit rough at the start because I just got up and went and did it, rather than have some fluid when i got up.  I had also done plenty of running and no rest in the days leading up to it.  So to knock that off feeling ok throughout is a decent sign.

The day before the OTO I'd managed to knock out 3 cheeky railways on the way back from Nottingham, calling in at Tattenhall en route.  I'm getting into a good habit of always having fellrunning kit with me so i can do the 'suit to scruffs' change in the car whenever i get a chance.  Trvalling with work is a pain, but i can get round it.

The day before that was a 11 mile trail run in Nottingham.  The nights are drawing in now and so i guess it's roads during the week now :-(((

And the day before that was a wet and windy outing in the peak district, where I managed 13 miles and 3500' climbing by virtue of the first half of the Edale Skyline route.  I hoped to do the whole route, but the rain and wind was horrendous.  I was pleased to get as far as Mam Nick, especially as I couldn't stand up on Mam Tor.  Literally couldn't stand up.  I had to crawl over the top few feet before being able to stand again. 

The week's total was 11,000' and 59 miles.  I should be happy with that.  I'll know if I am or not when I do legs 2 and 3 of the BGR with Clive King next week.  I want that to feel easy, well, easyish.  If it does and I'm not hangning on like I was earlier in the year when helping sone other folks, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment