Tuesday 16 November 2010

Wobble over, now let’s knock the b*stard off….

It’s on, again
 
I really don’t know what came over me last Friday.  Driving home from the Lakes with my tail between my legs having been blown halfway back down Robinson again was a dispiriting experience and I just lost all confidence.  I think there are some demons in there from last year and they need exorcising.  The only way that is going to happen is to do it, and a good friend did remind me that we most regret the things we didn’t do rather than those we did.  To not try would have been tragic.
 
Several friends and family members badgering me to do it helped hugely.  My wife, who I thought might be relieved (she’ll be 8 months pregnant when the BGR comes along) was very keen for me to reconsider.  She knows how much I’d have regretted calling it off.  Some nudging on the FRA Forum also put things into perspective. 
 
But the real boost was the weekend’s training.  I decided to go and do a hard and fast timed run over Moel Y Gamelin and ran a course pb (8 miles, 3200’ ascent).  The next day I did the Roaches fell race (15.5 miles, 3800’ ascent) on tired legs and was 10 mins faster than last year.  Fears of not being fit were eased.  Yes, I need some long days, but confidence was restored and I decided whilst running through calf-deep slurry during the Roaches that it was on.  I am fitter than last year, and as Clive King pointed out to me, last year’s lessons weren’t about fitness, they were about tactics, food and drink and weather.  Similar fitness and a better winter plan would be enough.
 
Now there are less than four weeks to go. This week I’ve got Thursday and Friday off and have a great chance to do two consecutive big days out.  I’m going to try and do 10 hours on Thursday and 6 or 7 on Friday.  One more big day the following week and I’ll be on the taper, and that will feel very scary.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have seen sense (is that the right word?) I have just started reading your blog very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete