Sunday 18 July 2010

Week Zero: A Head Start

Since getting back from the world's lowest lying country on Thursday (highest point 2.5 metres!) I've managed to put in three days hill running training.  The idea was to start training on Monday (July 19), which is week one in my plan.

Last year I started training for my midwinter BGR at the end of July.  I wasn't that fit when i started either.  On Friday, I wanted to see how fit I was and so I ran a standard route around Moel Famau and compared my times.  Last year I ran my 'double Moel Famau' run in 1:30 in late July, getting fitter throughout the summer and autumn to run it in 1:15:14 in November.  I had recently been made redundant and was working long hours, so knew i was not in top shape.  THis year, despite working away, i've been road training and keeping fit so i knew i'd beat the time from a year ago.  What shocked me was that i beat my pre-Bob Graham time and ran 1:14:30.  This was the quickest i've ever run that route.  It felt great.

On my failed midwinter BGR, it was the descending that got me.  That run off Scafell will live with me forever - the pain and fear it created were new experiences for me.  So i decided to push hard on the descents on Friday and i will do in all my training now.  They are often taken as a rest, but i need to get my downhill legs strong as well as the climbing legs.  Preparing for this round is all about lessons learned.

Saturday was an easier run around the Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen and Sunday was a good railway session, with six all-run reps of that brutal climb.  The railway is quicker if you run the first half and walk the second half whilst pushing down with your hands on your knees for extra power, quicker than running the whole thing.  But running them all is harder, and requires more power - it's like doing leg weights in the gym. For my successful summer round i ran them all - for my less successful midwinter round i ran/walked them and patted myself on the back for knocking out faster times.  It might be faster to run/walk them, but the greater training effect is gained by running the lot, and that's what i did today. Another lesson learned.  Seven next time...

What is encouraging about these runs is that they tell me i'm starting from a better base physically, and i'm stronger and better equipped mentally.  Today i ran those railways with sore legs from Friday's fast tough run.  That's good going.

Next week i'm helping a Bob Graham attempt and will do two legs.  Looking forward to that, fingers crossed for the weather.  It should be fine though - the only bad weather i've ever had on BGRs have been on my own two rounds, and i've helped about a dozen others. I feel my luck could change...

Summary:

Friday - 7.5M, 2300' - 1:14:30 fast
Satursday - 4.5M, 1200' - 55:12 easy
Sunday - 6 railways, @3M - 2200' all run

Total 15M, 5,700', 3 workouts

No comments:

Post a Comment