Tuesday 17 August 2010

The same, yet different.

I'm going anti-clockwise.

I'm going at sometime between 5 and 6am from Keswick and I won't be running through any ginnels and into any car parks for many hours after that!

Why?  Loads of little reasons really that have kind of added up. 

- I'm a bit fed up of the route, beleive it or not.  Loads of enjoyable supports have taken away the exciting newness well and truly, but supporting my first a/c round this year was really good fun and lent the fells and the BGR a surprising new feel.  I'm looking forward to re-learning split times and schedules and seeing it all a different way!

- Sleep.  I've never suffered from feeling sleepy tired on rounds but i do think that being awake all day and evening before you set off is a disadvantage and i've discovered that you need all the help you can get in winter!

- Festitvities at Tattenhall!  It's the christmas meal the Friday before and if I am going to get help from my friends and BGR support experts, I don't want to deprive them of their night out!  I'll be putting those guys on the last three legs and so they will be able to have a decent sleep and come up and help if they can/want to (I'm not assuming anything!). 

- The road section is out of the way! the black ice may be there again, but the agony of tackling it at the end of a winter round is too much to consider doing again.  It was verging on the traumatic last time - never again!

I'll be going on a 23 hour schedule.  Can't wait!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, interesting decision Mark! But a good one I reckon, for the reasons you've mentioned. Having attempted anti and failed, then succeeded c/w..the worst part is getting to Dunmail and facing 3 steep climbs, then getting to Threlkeld and realising you've still got over 5,000ft to do!
    Me and Kirsten will definitely try to be available for road support, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rich - will keep you in the loop re plans. If you want to run, any choice of leg? If your better half is willing to do the bacon sarnie brilliance for me i'd be forever grateful!

    Trained today for 3 hours and felt awful. Good days and bad days i guess!!

    Hope you are recovering well

    M

    ReplyDelete