Monday 16 August 2010

Week Four - Kinder Dozen and whole lotta snot

Snifff

Feeling a bit rough, got a full on man cold and am being typically rubbish.  I blame Kinder Scout, Derbyshire's highest mountain, and its widest and boggiest.

I decided this week that after a good outing at Borrowdale, I would keep running hard and not take much rest.  I have to get used to running tired all over again.  It's tempting to run when you've fully recovered, but my head needs to know my body can perform when it's a bit sore and tight.

Monday was a trial, a 5 mile trail trial to be precise.  I ran hard on an off-road hilly course, but it wasn't so fast.  I ended up hanging on in there despite a slow speed.  It wasn't satisfying like a good hard fast run - one to log under 'head training'.

I ran my 9.5 mile hilly trail run in 1:13 on Tuesday, a decent effort with still weary legs and some stiff hills, as well as some curious and scary cows edging me towards the edge of a field.  Weds was another fast run, 7.4 miles and 54 mins on another very hilly and off road course.  I felt good, with a spring in my step.  It proved that you can recover from long runs whilst still running ones.  Not sure how that works, but it does.

I had a break on Thursday before the Kinder experience.  The kinder dozen is apparently a route for the mentally deranged according to the LDWA, a somewhat horrible description in every sense for what is actually a fantastic day out.  Why do people use such phrases with such abandon?


It was wet. Very wet indeed.  My map became sodden but it was fantastic nav practice!  I plunged through waist deep bracken, flicked off the ticks, fought the heather and pounded the peat for six and a half entertaining hours.  It worked out at about 20 miles and 9,300' ascent, not as much as advertised but given the ground and the weather, a meaty day out by anyone's standards.  I loved it and it was a joy to train somewhere new.  Exploring the northern aspects of Kinder was great and I hardly saw a soul.  The photos say it all.

Sandy Hayes trig
Crowden Tower
Fairbrook Naize
Jacobs Ladder
Ringing Roger
Sandy Hayes trigs old and new

No comments:

Post a Comment