Saturday 9 October 2010

Week twelve - This is it, for a bit...


What a place the Lake District is...  

Sunset looking north from Pike o Stickle
 


North towards Gable from Scafell Pike




Pike o Stickle from Stake Gill as the sunset turns the hills red
  


Scafells from Red Pike
 


Gable from Pike o Stickle at sunset
 


West from Scafell Pike
 


















This week things have gone mightily well.  After a successful Sandstone Trail last week, with a good run on tired legs in wet conditions, I took a few days off before hitting the hills.  Good plan!

I parked up at Honister on Thursday morning and had to wait for the parking ticket office to open at the mine.  I bought two days worth of parking and set off on my way towards Langdale, where I'd booked a night's lodgings in the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel.  The plan was to do as much of the BGR anticlockwise as possible before dropping to the valley and heading to the hotel.  I wanted to get off the hills before or not long after dark if possible.  I looked at Bob Wightman's schedules and decided to aim to move at 23 hour pace, made a little more difficult for having a pack with two days' food and clothes with me.

Off i went up Grey Knotts, immediately finding a better line going this way than the dozens of times I've come down the other way.  I moved quite quickly over Brandreth and the Gables and before I knew it, I was heading down that steep slope of Yewbarrow towards Wasdale.  I made it there in 3:50, which is 40 mins up on the 23 hoour schedule.  Given that i was still a little heavy legged, and i was carrying quite a bit of gear, I was pleased with that. 

Scafell next, a gruelling 3000 foot climb straight up.  I found a decent trod next to the brilliant scree run i usually run down and picked my up that long climb.  Onwards to Scafell Pike via Foxes Tarn and the rocky twins of Broad and Ill Crag.  These two present rocky direct scrambles going clockwise but Broad Crag actually has easy ground running northeast which would make a great line up for clockwise aspirants.  I can't beleive I'd never noticed it.  It's a lesson that a great way of recceing in a route is to go the other way.

I found i was still making up time.  Great End came and went, and still i felt good, despite passing the 10,000 foot mark for the day and Esk Pike and Bowfell seemed to be easier than usual.  I had a tricky time locating the ramp on the side of Bowfell from above, losing it 100 yards down and picking my way across the fell until i found it right at the bottom.  I need to check this out more.

Rossett PIke next and this was a potential break off point to the valley.  However, darkness was some way off and this meant i was going well.  So i pushed onto Martcrag Moor and Pike o Stickle.  I never really appreciated what kind of a climb that was this way round, a 1000' pull to the summit across boggy and slow ground.  I didn't enjoy this bit and lost a couple of minutes on the schedule there.  Pike o Stickle's summit was a reward for the slog, with the sunset lighting up a stupendous western horizon.

I decided that Harrison Stickle would be my last peak of the day before dropping straight down to the hotel at its foot.  This meant the day's total was @ 12,500' of climb and about 30 miles, all done in 9 hours 42 mins. I worked out that I was 50 mins up on the 23 hours schedule at Harrison Stickle, and over an hour over the 24 hour schedule.  A good sign. 

The more i thought about that, the more i realised that this was a very good run out.  The Sandstone Trail, and the railway fest before that meant i was tired already.  Also, my pack was heavy.  On the day, i'll have hardly anything to carry, i'll be fresh and rested and have top notch support to help me.  If i'm an hour up on a 23 schedule on the day at that point, i'll be very pleased. So it was with joy and contentment that I dropped down to the hotel via Stickle Tarn in increasing darkness for a bath, a meal and a lovely lovely bed.

I spoke to my pregnant wife on the phone from the hotel and she was full of a horrible cold.  I felt bad, like i should have been at home.  It made me very appreciative of the passes out i frequently get.  She's 6 months pregnant and it's getting exciting (for us both) and tiring (for her).  I'll have done this thing before the baby comes in late Jan and it made me realise that this 24-hour round phase in my life is coming to a close, for now.  Pass or Fail, this is it for a bit.  I really have to make it this time.

Friday dawned cloudy but the forecast promised well.   I had to work out how to get back to my car at Honister.  I decided to not have another huge day, but a moderate day out was still a good follow up.  I went back over Rossett Pass, Esk Hause and Sty Head before heading up Green Gable via Aaron Slack before picking up a clokwise BGR line back to Honister.  This was a steady four hours at a slower pace, but i felt good on the climbs, which totalled just over 4000' for that day.  The truth is I wanted to get home and see Alison. She sounded very bunged up. So i was in the car by 2pm and a quick stop for the obligatory gear shopping in Keswick (a smart GORE softshell windproof top) and I was home after a very satisfactory two days.

Weirdly, i decided to race on Saturday.  My legs were heavy, but not sore and so I rolled up to do the Colwyn Bay XC race.  This was quite an ask for a tired runner - XC can be evil!  Those four laps are usually brutal and It's fair to say that the first lap was a mild form of hell, with feet dragged along by heavy legs.  As the 6 mile race went on its rollecoaster circuit of Erias Park, I felt better and better.  I never hit race pace, unsurprisingly, but i felt strong throughout and felt like i could have gone on at the end.  I decided this race was a mental test, a bit like that fifth leg of a BGR.  Tired legs, not in the mood: perfect.  I probably averaged no more than 7 minute miling on that course, but given the recent efforts, i think this was a subtly excellent run out.  It proved strength and enduramce were in my legs.

So, a satisfying week :-)

Totals: 15,000' ascent/descent, 53 miles.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Pike o Stickle shot, it's possibly my favourite summit in the lakes because of not one but many memories - this is a superb shot of it.

    It sounds like it's all going to plan Mark, I'm glad, well done on keeping it all going.

    Hope mum to be is keeping well

    ReplyDelete