Wednesday 27 October 2010

Weeks 13 and 14 - Easy, hard, brilliant

Week 13 was almost totally free of training.  My calves were sore and tight and my back was stiff.  I decided an easy week now would pay dividends later.  I meant it too, it wasn't an excuse because I wanted to run.  I simply decided not to.  Well, not much.  A couple of 11 mile runs on the roads and a brisk run on Moel Famau (of course!) and fields but that was it. 

I found I was slower on my Moel Famau, 1:16 where 1:14 was breached for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't decide whether that was a great time when tired or a poor run.  I decided to blame my shoes - a new pair of OROC 350s with metal dabs and everything.  They aren't the fastest and lightest shoe and were a sledgehammer to crack a nut on Moel Famau, but if conditions for my winter round are like last year, they will be robust, grippy (superb grip actually) and cushioned enough for the hard ground.  They'll do a good job on that the tough 3rd leg.

But it was an easy, steady week, ready for a harder week to follow.

Week 14 was brilliant.  A 5 hour day in the Carneddau, two brisk 10+ mile road runs and legs four and five (anticlockwise) in 7 hours 25 mins - miles faster than the 23 hour schedule.  Runners hate rest.  Runners training for a round really hate rest.  But my easy week has worked a treat, because the following week was a corker.  Here's some photos....

North from Carnedd Daffyd to Bethesda

East from Helvellyn towards Ullswater

Helvellyn summit escarpment and distant Skiddaw, where i was 5 hours later

Inversion over Windermere from Seat Sandal

Tryfan, below eye level from Pen Yr Ole Wen

West from Helvellyn - so many peaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment