Monday 29 November 2010

Wanted: Some slack from the weather Gods please?!

Not again…!
 
It’s worth reminding readers that last winter I did the full BGR in 24:22, all of which was in sub-zero temperatures and about a quarter of which was in an increasingly menacing blizzard.   This provides the context for my nervousness around this cold snap which is gripping the UK.  With less than two weeks to go, and with forecasters talking about a two-week cold snap, it’s entirely possible that the conditions will repeat themselves.
 
Oh dear…
 
I’m going a week earlier than last year – still technically a mid-winter round but slightly further away from the solstice.  Last year, the week before my round was chilly but not arctic and I would have made it round in sub 24.  I hoped that I’d enjoy slightly less hard conditions this year.  Now, it appears that they could be worse. 
 
Last year was a completion rather than an abandonment because the ground conditions were generally OK, with some VERY notable exceptions (the gully up to Foxes was very icy and not a little scary).  This was because the extreme cold (minus 16 for much of the night and at least minus 5 at best all the way round) and blizzards later on, were the start of a cold snap where the cumulative affects of huge water-ice sheets and widespread verglas that can render darkness descents so dangerous were only patchy and mostly avoidable.  That wouldn’t have been the case two weeks later and I fear it won’t be this time.
 
In truth, it doesn’t matter because I can’t control it.  If conditions are unsafe for a winter BGR but the weather is good, we’ll just have a winter walking and running weekend instead.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d be very disappointed because I’ve trained as much as life as allowed and I feel strong, but what will be, will be.  Either way, it’ll be a great hill day with some good friends and some new friends.  Also, with a baby on the way, watching Alison bloom and the bump grow (and feeling it move), I’m finding perspective easier to come by thesedays.
 
Training-wise, it’s been a week of tapering and running for fun.  The climbing and descending totals are right down, but the quality sessions and mileage less so, which means I still have the post exertion endorphins to keep me sane.  The final, completely inactive period will drive me insane.
 
On Monday I ran with the Redhill Road runners in Nottingham and did a brisk, hilly 8 miles.  I enjoyed it, was pushed hard and was humbled by a couple of very very strong road runners who seemed to float along – you know the type.  I thought negative thoughts because if I’m fit enough for a BGR I shouldn’t be passed so easily whilst I’m working hard.  Turns out that these guys were sub 2:40 marathoners, and that there were a few sub 3:00 marathoners well behind me in the session – a useful barometer I suppose. 
 
Tuesday was gym work.  Specifially, quad power work.  Last year, the descents on hard ground thrashed my quads on scafell.  I decided to work on them to create more muscle mass and resilience to add to the endurance from the running.  I worked very hard indeed, moving between the cross trainer (full gradient, max resistance, no help from arms – a very good method for working your legs hard) and the leg weights (the one where you sit and straighten your legs).  I could barely walk back to the car after an hour of that.
 
Wednesday saw another Redhill session, this time a combination of short, sharp hill efforts and one mile tempo runs.  This was knackering and there were some fine runners there to try and keep in sight!  Another 8 and bit miles were knocked off and I felt great.
 
Thursday was very cold and very enjoyable.  I managed to leave Nottingham a little early and get back towards home at a civilised time.  This meant that for the first time in many months, I was able to run with my club at the main club session.  We did a cold 9 miles nice and easy, just chatting all the way round.  It was without any doubt the easiest 9 miles I’ve ever done and amongst the most enjoyable.  It was good to be back.  Much of my training has been done alone, so it was lovely to be back and running with friends.
 
Friday would normally be the big hill day.  I decided to run up a big hill, but not run all day.  The most northerly 3000’ summit in Wales, Foel Fras, makes for a very good training run from Aber as the gradient is steady but the distance is long, making for a grinding but runnable climb.  I thought an out and back up there would be a useful run to get in a sustained climb and descent.  I did indeed run every step on the way up, but the deep snow and whiteout conditions meant retreat from the summit of Drum, which is still a respectable 2600’.  I was just pleased to be able to run all the way up the mountain in these challenging conditions with relative ease.  I was by no means tired when I got back to the car, covered in icicles.  I think it was about minus 5 or 6 up there.
 
The weekend saw no running, just a brilliant NCT ante-natal class and a terrific reunion with some old uni friends.  Perspective by the bucketloads this weekend, after a good week’s work.
 
2 weeks to go and the pendulum is hanging on the right side of neutral.  Let’s see how it is after next weekend’s Cardington Cracker, which will be my last run before the big day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment